Thursday, October 13, 2016

Take your ball and go to the world...kicked out of the group?


Networking 101:  Take your ball and go to the world...
Wenston DeSue-Author

Image result for cartoon of angry child taking a ball
When your networking group becomes "small minded"...take your ball and go to the world...

Have you ever wondered what it would take to build a solid network of contacts, connections or colleagues?  Have you ever thought about what would happen if traumatic experiences in life would cause those connections to dissipate, knowing that you could do nothing about the demise?  What are you going to do?

The other day, I obtained a message from a contact at one of my networking groups that I had not spoken to for several months.  The connection was always a friendly one and a part of a bigger picture in regards to formulating collaborative strategies through the purpose of continued constant contact, both through social media and an annual alumni strategy meeting.  Well, needless to say, some traumatic professional experiences over the past year, have caused the contact to diminish and in an effort to catch up, I contacted my networking group to reconnect.  The group had developed a new public forum that reaches many individuals and although I had been told to resolve those professional issues, there was a hope that I would be welcomed with open arms...not so...

I was told that they had heard about my professional issue and although they appreciated the connection, other members in the group did not see my participation as beneficial.  At first, I was a little put off by the admission, totally disconnecting my networking connection from all social media, but I continue to get updates about their initiatives, asking me and others for continued engagement into the group.

The networking group was established through various academic channels and although requested not to participate in the group, I have decided to take a different tact;  expand beyond the confines of the existing group, but addressing the elitist perceptions cast by the myopic scope of the existing group.  The take your ball and go home mindset does play well in situations such as this.  The results have been resounding.

No review today...just a word of advice...when removed from an existing networking group, don't dismay because your purpose should be to expand to larger, more purposeful groups, thereby resonating resiliency and ultimately success.  So, when I return to the group as I will be invited to their next alum event, I may chose to attend or not.

TPP out!

P.S.  Thanks to all those who follow our little blogpost...our world is expanding daily...

No comments:

Post a Comment